Friday, November 19, 2010

Ornaments: food




 Ah, sweet bacon, apples and pear!  Food is a big deal in my family.  My husband and I both love to cook, and our daughter seems to becoming quite the eater.  Her palette is definitely not mild.  To celebrate her first foods, I made her an apple.  Sure, I could have made something she can't get enough of: grilled marinated portabello mushrooms, spinach hummus, or something like that, but let's face it, that wouldn't be very interesting as an ornament.  An apple signifies something about firsts, maybe it's the crispness of the first bite of one, or the shiny red apple on your teacher's desk, regardless of your personal association, an apple seems appropriate and makes a great finished product!

La, la, la... and a partridge in a pear tree!  My Mother-in Law has a classically trained singing voice and this song is one that she references a lot during the holidays.  What better subject for a felt ornament just for her!

As for bacon, there are a few people that "love" is not a strong enough word for this food.  With that in mind, I made an ornament for my brother's girlfriend that honors this food.  She also happens to have a great sense of humor, and will most certainly find this really funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment