Friday, November 19, 2010

It's that time of year again: ornaments




Every year, I set a goal to make my family ornaments.  Last year, I made very few pieces because I had my daughter on December 18, so as you can imagine, I didn't get far.  This time around, I think I'm actually going to get them made for everyone!  I've decided to make them all from felt; the medium I wanted to use for everyone last year, and that very few people received!  My husband's was the first, and when I asked him what kind of ornament he wanted, he replied "a plane" so I got to work.  I don't typically hunt down patterns for crafty things that I sew.  That was the case with this plane too.  I started with some basic shapes and built on that.  My husband is very interested in planes, and what I refer to as hoppty planes (short take off and landing) are his favorite.  I personally like the look of old tail draggers, so I guess this little guy is a hybrid of the two.  The buttons are upcycled from my button jar.  I'm fairly pleased with this one!  I was worried that this year's ornaments might turn out looking a little on the grandma side, I'm pleased that this one doesn't!

In the next entries, I'll be showing multiple pieces, because a single post per ornament would take forever!  This one is pretty great though, and I think it deserves a little spotlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment